Development Initiative Network (DIN) is a local non-profit organization currently working in the Lower Shire southern region of Malawi. DIN was established in February 2012 to respond to the needs and challenges affecting vulnerable communities in Chikwawa and Nsanje. We believe for change to be effective and sustainable development to materialize, communities need to be the drivers of the process. Our aim is to empower a network of community groups and organizations and ensure they have access to adequate resources and training in order to tackle poverty. Partnering with local, international and government organizations, our programs focus on improving water, sanitation and healthcare, providing access to good quality education and community awareness and addressing food insecurities through rural agricultural development, while tackling climate change.
Our mission is to alleviate poverty and create lasting change in vulnerable communities.
The objectives of the organization are:
1. To promote community education through training and awareness programs on the following issues: gender equality, child marriage prevention, youth development, governance and democracy.
2. To partner with local, international and governmental organizations and link communities with the expertise and resources required to tackle poverty.
3. To improve food security among vulnerable communities through viable agricultural practices, improved storage and management techniques and increase income levels of marginalized groups by establishing agri-business schemes.
4. To empower communities in climate change adaptation strategies with special emphasis on community forestation and risk disaster preparedness.
5. To improve health and WASH standards through the provision of water, sanitation and hygiene resources, establishment of home based care committees and training of community health workers in HIV/AIDS and safe mother programs.
6. To promote access to early childhood, primary, secondary and adult education, improve quality and ensure adequate resources.
Come and volunteer with DIN and have a life changing experience, while making a difference in the lives of others. We welcome volunteers to assist with our education, water and sanitation, gender equality, HIV/AIDs and agricultural projects or help with marketing and fundraising. Come and experience traditional Malawian life, immerse yourself in the culture and gain an insight into the problems facing people living in poverty. We offer a number of volunteer opportunities where you can lend a helping hand and learn about the workings of a grassroots NGO. Programs will be tailored to suit the volunteer’s skills.